Thursday, May 8, 2008

Utopia...

(Goldfrapp)

Today I went to Yogurtland again. Hehe. I'm gonna get fat.

Not the point of this post. The point:

I donated to save people in Burma today. And it felt HELLA GOOD.

I've been hearing about Burma on the news. How its own government won't allow humanitarian aid, and how our government is urging them to allow us to help them out, but they're refusing on the basis of our poor reputation. So it was pretty awesome when my aunt linked me to this site. They donate to Burma's monks to bypass the government directly, so aid gets to the civilians.

I have a friend who donates to charity every month. I think I'm going to start doing it too. It feels really good.

Because, like my title says, we don't live in utopia. We actually live in a pretty crappy world. And I'd like it to be better, even if my measly $20.00 only does so much.

1 comment:

Collin said...

Brilliant! $20 is nontrivial in many parts of the world. A monthly donation is a terrific idea. Your bank might be able to do it for you; just don't forget that they're doing that or you might have a surprise on your statement (don't ask).

Here is why it's brilliant. Many of us think too much about money (this includes "worrying too much"). Money is for many of us an idol. That is, we worship and serve it, thinking it will give us True Satisfaction. It is a false god, however, in that it never truly satisfies; it can only give temporary relief from inconvenience.

The way to topple this idol is to do something to diss its role as a false god in one's life. This is why giving it away, as you did, is good not only for the recipient but also for the giver.

What do they say, "you go girl"? Yeah.