Thursday, March 20, 2008

Where I Belong

(Motion City Soundtrack)
Which is ironic because the content of this post has to do with the song title and the place I first heard this band.
I really don't belong in Southern California.
I realized this today when someone told me again how "that's so gay" and how they're "moderate." This place may have some great slang (legit) and some great people, but it also has some really crappy ideals.
This school also has some really bad flaws. It's located in a terrible conservative area, it empties out on the weekends, it can be really lonely, the classes aren't as hard as I expected, and although they do have a variety of classes, they aren't focused in one direction. In other words, it's not the liberal arts education I wanted from Sarah Lawrence.
Transfering is still what I'm using to get me through this year. Problem is, it's getting harder and harder to face the idea of leaving Alliey and Aditi and Lauren behind.
If anyone has any knowledge of any good schools in New York City, let me know. Right now I'm considering applying to Columbia, Fordham (ooh in the Bronx, ahhh), and Stonybrook. Well I did apply there, I'm waiting to see if I get in.
If anyone can come up with some good schools in SoCal where the majority of the students are not FROM here and that are not UCs, that would be okay too.
It's either NYC or LA.

1 comment:

jfille said...

come here! we can go through the (supposed) best years of our lives (heh) together!
belonging is a complicated desire/emotion/state/idea. i've been thinking about it a lot lately... belonging in a place, in a culture, with a person, with a group: what does it really mean? and how transient is it?