Saturday, April 26, 2008

She lives in a dream

(Eleanor Rigby, Beatles)
Well, I've declared my major. As of now, I'm going to major in Journalism with a dash of poli sci thrown in and possibly another sprinkle of French, if I can find time to double minor. Goodness, now to find a school that has a good Journalism program (too bad I'm leaving one that has one of the best).
And this weekend, I decided that I wanted to change the world.
Yeah, kind of a revolutionary statement to make in a sentence. But I plan on doing it. I want to be that girl who goes to Rwanda or Sudan or Tibet and nearly loses her life to come back with a story that makes the rest of the priviliged world realize that the rest of the world isn't so lucky all the time. Or the girl that stumbles across a tragedy and makes it important to everyone. I want people to care about things like I care about them.
Idealistic, I know, but if I don't start out that way, I'll have nothing to lose, and protecting my ideals will make me work all the harder to get where I want to go.
And I want people in America to care less about the tabloids and more about the New York Times. Less about what Britney Spears did on the freeway yesterday and more about how many Iraqis died in the same time frame. Less about the appearance of wrinkles on their faces and more about the appearance of smog on the skyline.
America is a pretty messed-up nation. We are so full of ourselves we forget the rest of the world exists. It's this I hope changes soon.
So IR (International Relations) seems to be the place for me. IR or an editorial on fashion (what a contrast!).

3 comments:

jfille said...

bravo! it takes courage to have that kind of dreams. ca me rappelle amanda. mais la nature de ces reves depend des motivations de reveur.

stony brook has a journalism program, but it only started recently so idk if it's much good.

Anonymous said...

Going along with what Jen said, if you truly want to do what you said you wanted to do, then wouldn't it make sense to go to (or stay at) a school with a really strong journalism program, since that would be the most plausible way to do what you want to do?

I'm all for you transferring, especially if you're unhappy at Irvine (which is what it seems like). But it would make sense to me to transfer to a school with a journalism program that's just as good, if not better, if you're whole-hearted about this.

Collin said...

Journalism! OK, I have to tell you about this.

A couple years ago (or so; Jen still had her permit--no license yet) we went to one of those recruiting seminars for St. John's College. One of the presenters had gone to St. John's (I don't recall whether Annapolis or Santa Fe) and afterwards wanted to do a Ph.D in journalism at Columbia (as in New York City).

Well. St. John's had so spoiled him that he thought the Columbia Ph.D program was, as he put it, "mickey mouse" (no [tm]) and refused to continue. I forget what he eventually went on to become, besides a recruiter for St. John's. A journalist/writer maybe?

what does that all mean? I dunno, but I thought it interesting.